Monday, April 22, 2013

concerns about piracy

Update (5/10/13): Google took this pirate down and I feel gratified. He may just pop up somewhere else, but he'll have to pay the developer registration fee again.  Twenty-five dollars may not seem like much, but it offsets some of the ad revenue, which I've heard is pretty tiny.  Heck, my friend's book has been up for over 4 months and our combined profit hasn't hit that yet.

I was browsing Play for a game to download, when I came across this one. I thought it looked familiar, downloaded it and started playing.  Sure enough, it was this Flash game.

The Android version had a fair number of ads and started to annoy me, and I knew I'd played it before, so I deinstalled it and took a peek at this "developer's" other offerings.  There were a few Japanese games, a bunch of games in English.  All different styles of artwork. Then I came across one, then two, that had been written by a friend.

I had already seen this friend had ported a couple of his Flash games to Android under his own name.  This so-called "developer" was pirating other people's Flash games and posting them under his name, presumably for the ad revenue.

I looked up the Flash versions of several games and contacted four developers. One didn't respond, and the other three said they had not given permission to this guy to port their game.  I gave them the link to complain to Google about copyright violation. Hopefully this guy will get taken down.

But this leads me to ask what protections I have as a Play developer?  If someone installs my app, how easy would it be for them to take the app from their file system, load it into their IDE and add code to pull in ad networks, and push it back out to the Play store as their own?

Google recently won a case against Viacom wherein its subsidiary YouTube was found to be protected by the DMCA for hosting Viacom TV shows uploaded by its users.

Google also protects copyright in other cases, such as copyrighted music being used in user videos.  It has, as far as I understand, a fairly sophisticated algorithm to search for and match to copyrighted material.

Is the same effort put into protecting people who may not even know their work has been ported to Android?  Or at least work that already exists at the Play Store and is pirated into another Play Store app?  Or is it up to developers to constantly search for theft of their own work?

No comments:

Post a Comment