Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The weight project part 2

Eclipse vs IntelliJ and The Google (Drive)

I started programming Java, then Android with IntelliJ some 10 months ago.  I like IntelliJ.  However, the Google Drive example assumed you were using Eclipse, a popular and also free IDE.  It has its own plugin to incorporate Google libraries.  I admit I don't understand more than the rudiments of code libraries, so when I started working on the example I could not figure out how to make it work in IntelliJ.

I downloaded Eclipse, and after some struggle with the newest version and learning that it and the Android SDK don't play all so well together, downloaded the next-older version and got it working.

I also learned enough about Eclipse to realize I didn't like it all that much.  It's slower, even when you tell it not to automatically compile, and seems delicate.  It keeps track of projects in a completely separate folder, so if you delete a file from outside, or rename/move the folder, then try to load/run it, Eclipse has a hissy fit and faints.  IntelliJ just looks at what is there and deals with it, even if your project is open.  Robust.

I struggled for days trying to add the libraries to IntelliJ the way I was guessing they were being added in Eclipse.  (On the Drive example page, there was no description of what the plugin was doing under the hood.)  I finally broke down and asked the collective wisdom of StackOverflow.

After some wrangling with a guy who initially didn't seem to understand what I was asking, he built the example himself and presented me with exactly how to add the libraries. Bless this sweet Russian guy's heart.  Once I had this, I placed it straight into the weights app and it worked beautifully. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment