Thursday, January 24, 2013

at the Play Store

Searches:
bird calling - Angry Birds Star Wars tops a list of over 1000 hits; of course my app is nowhere to be seen.
nicole bird calling - my app plus two "zombie solitaire" games
perretta - my app plus two others
nicole bird - my app plus five or six others
nicole calling - my app close to the top of ~35 others
bird call lady - 0 app results
"bird calling" and "bird call lady" (in quotes) return only my app

I'm not displeased. Those who don't spell Perretta correctly can still find  it with Nicole.  The thing I find quirky is how bird call lady without quotes brings up nothing, but with quotes, it finds it (it's a phrase in the description).  I want it to be findable by people like your mom, or my mom, or anyone who doesn't really get that UI has certain common patterns.  You know, the type who would have been better off with an iPhone ;) .

[A few years back I had a sort-of-boyfriend who had a Mac laptop. I know, the finest of programmers use them these days now that they're Unix based, but I'm from the era where Macs' main selling point was their friendliness to the non-technical. Watching this boyfriend browse the internet was an exercise in self-restraint against yelling "NO NO NO NO DON'T CLICK that spammy link," or expecting to peruse a website in an organized manner. When you're using a computer (or anything with a lot of visuals, like an airplane) for the first time, you have a lot to look at and have no idea what's important and what's ignoreable.  After a while, most people learn to discern what's important, but some don't -- to them, the computer screen is a Jackson Pollock painting where every place is equally important, and they click on whatever is in front of them.  That's the kind of end user I'm talking about.]


And one last bug got eradicated: I'm glad one of my beta testers had a Samsung Galaxy S3.  Despite the normal-sized screen, it's xhdpi and from what I could gather from here and here, the S3 uses about 4 times as much memory for an image than other devices.

And naturally, after that bug was done I forgot to include the typo correction in the database and forgot to add the name of the beta tester who found the typo. Hence version 1.0.2.

The uploading of a revision is a bit mystifying.  It gives this weird notification about how people who might download v1.0.0 would now be getting v1.0.2, and it gives the impression this is a bad thing.  It isn't entirely clear that you must archive the old version first in order to activate the new version, then you additionally have to publish the new version.  I'm sure there is reasoning behind this, but it's not the same as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment